The first small (5 inch x 7 inch) tapestry is finished. This first picture shows the completed piece before I cut it off the loom. As you can see, there was more than enough space to warp for a second weaving if I had planned ahead.
This second picture is a close-up of the piece while it was still on the loom. You can get a better idea of the colors and texture in this photo. It still feels like a southwestern landscape to me. I’m going to live with it for a couple of weeks before I make a decision on embellishing it with beads.
This is before I tied off the warp threads. For some reason, in this photo the weaving looks really uneven but my ruler says it isn’t.
One of the things that I really like about the loom is that it’s very well-constructed, and at 6 lbs., doesn’t shift around while I’m weaving.
So, lessons learned and things I would do differently:
- Using the shedding device would definitely have made weaving this piece much easier and faster especially because of the fibers I selected.
- In order to incorporate the beads I want to use into the weaving, I’m going to have to experiment a bit more to come up with a solution that I’m happy with. I spent a lot of time unweaving sections to remove beads because I didn’t like the way they looked.
I’ll leave you with some eye candy… Maximo Laura, a Peruvian tapestry weaver. I want to be him when I grow up.